Sunday, 26 January 2014

Resolutions...

Happy New Year!
Man I have just been a neglectful parent with this blog haven't I? 
Did everyone have a good Christmas? 
My man person and I went back to Aus and Mel and I had a catch up that involved far too much wine (and yet not enough) 

It was 2 weeks of decadence and catch ups and of course talk had inevitably turned to resolutions. 
I know, I know, you don't need a new year to make a change but it always happens at New Years. 
Anyway, I suck at resolutions, like completely suck at them. When I was younger my resolution would be to ‘have a great year’ which, really, is a pretty lame and pathetic excuse for a resolution in my opinon.

But this year I think I have one, although it’s not really a resolution, as much as a commitment to something that has steadily become something that has had more focus in my life.
So my resolution or commitment for the year is to follow more conscious living. Not really clean or green living because that’s not really what it is, although there are some aspects of it thrown in.

Let me explain my version of conscious living. I’m not going super hardcore or anything, refusing to use anything unless its organic, unfiltered cold pressed argan oil or something, not that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s just that I’m a makeup and nail artist, I currently have purple hair, and I need to be realistic. Some of my favorite products aren't going to fit this bill. This is about me educating myself and making informed choices along the way. 

This decision has been born of many things, I've already tried to make the switch with certain items, wanting to cut down on some of the unknowns. I use a lot of beauty products and I personally just wanted to minimise some of the harmful things I'm putting on. Formaldehyde is a huge one at the moment - it's found in nail polish, which is why I made the choice to use 5 free brands, like NCLA and RGB where I can, I'll be honest, sometimes for shoots I'll get other brands so I have the perfect colour or finish. Like I said, I know I won't be perfect at it.  But there's been some talk that Fomaldehyde can also be found in certain mascara!! 

I also have been trying to avoid products that do animal testing, PETA is a great source for companies that don't do animal testing,  and, by proxy, I have tried to use more vegan products where I can, as well as try to buy products that give back.

For example there is an awesome company called Sevenly (https://www.sevenly.org/) that I've bought some shirts from. They donate a portion of the cost to the charity the shirts are designed for and help change peoples lives. They have now expanded to accessories and prints. Another company I love, and I know Mel does too, is the Giving Keys (http://www.thegivingkeys.com/) they employee homeless people in LA, giving them a job and a chance to get off the streets and try get back on their feet, whilst making a product that is designed to Pay it forward. How cool is that?
So I guess, my resolution is to do what I can to help make the world a better place. By my conscious decisions and by spreading the word. 

I also have your standard resolutions - to shoot more, to be more creative and to save for holiday but I just wanted to share this one with you, because you'll probably get some updates on fun new products I discover. :D
Do you have any resolutions?
Do you have any natural brands that you love?
Do you have some conscious decisions you think I need to do?


No comments:

Post a Comment